All students and staff at Gull Lake Community Schools now have NEW google accounts, and the old ones will be deleted at the end of January. Emails will forward only if they were from the firstname.lastname@example.org (all freshman have this account).
Upperclassmen, if you did NOT change to this account from your original that started with your Gull Lake career at (email@example.com), NOTHING transferred. You must transfer all your documents and forward your email from that account. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to forward your emails and move all of your important documents to your new account.
How to forward google mail
- Open your OLD email account that you want email forwarded from.
- Go to “settings” (little flower icon in right-hand corner of screen).
- Under “settings” you’ll find another “settings,” click on that.
- Click on the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP tap at the top of the page.
- At the very top, you’ll see a forwarding option. Click on the button that says “Add a Forwarding Address”
- A pop up form appears. Put in your new email address.
GOOGLE DRIVE instructions
Use the instructions below for sophomore and juniors with ONE other suggestion since you will lose your google account at the end of the year. If you still want your documents after you graduate, you’ll need to do this process of transferring all over again.
Why not do it just once? Create a private google account instead of using the new gulllakecs.org account, send all your document there and forward THAT new gulllakecs.org email to your new private account (see above). You’ll get all the senior graduation information, and you won’t have to do it again at the end of the year.
Sophomore and Juniors
Unless you transferred to the firstname.lastname@example.org at the beginning of this year, you need to transfer all your documents and forward emails yourself. Follow the instructions below.
For google drive transfer of documents, you’ll need to open up your old account first. There are two ways you can do this. One for iPad (longer and more time consuming) and one for laptop or PC (time saver).
- Share all documents from your old account at gl.k12.mi.us with your new account at gulllakecs.org.
- Open your new account at gulllakecs.org and go to google drive to documents shared with you.
- Recreate folders in your drive where you want your old documents to go.
- Select those that were “shared with me” (also called “incoming” in the newer version of googledrive). At the top you will see an option that says “more” and click on that.
- Select “copy.” Move each copied document to your drive. You’ll to do this one-by-one.
IMPORTANT: You must make a copy since the shared documents will disappear after the old account is deleted.
Laptop or PC: For this option, all folders and organization will stay the same and uploaded all at once.
- In old account, create a folder titled something like “transfer folder.”
- Select all the folders and documents you want to move to your new account.
- Go to “More” at the top of the page and select “move to” and send them to the transfer folder you just created. HINT: something must be selected for “More” to show up.
- Go to “More” again only this time select “download” and then download your “transfer folder to your laptop or computer. You can also email it to yourself since it will be a zipped folder.
- Open new google account (email@example.com and password is the same for Windows 7).
- Go to “my drive” and upload folders. With Chrome you can do this all at once. FireFox will let you too.
- If for some reason you can’t upload folders, just upload the zipped folder, and open on a PC or laptop with Chrome installed (that will unzip it for you automatically).
Your firstname.lastname@example.org should have transferred all your google. If they didn’t, follow the steps below for the upperclassmen. Your email should be forwarded without doing it manually.